WayShowers Foundation is a registered NGO with Ms Megha Gupta as its joint director. It aims to execute the developmental work planned by Dharavi Market so that craftsmen and their families can have holistic development.
At WayShowers Foundation we wish to be the light that guides other people to move onto their path and show them the right way so that each of us lives to our fullest potential.
Objective: Provide Skills Training to create more orders and more income
Wayshowers Foundation along with vocational training institute BluePlanet aims to provide relevant and quality skilling/upskilling to Dharavi craftsmen specially in the unorganized sector like leather, wood, etc. and to certify them with relevant assessment.
With better quality products craftsmen can increase income by getting bulk orders from across the world for promotional gifting, white labeling for various brands, making industry specific products. With little guidance and assistance on current errors, technology, finance, branding, marketing and communication craftsmen can more than double their orders and increase their income fivefolds. We are targeting the export market which ensures fair pay.
We have tied up with the best educational institutes and export consultants with years of experience in export houses who have designed a practical vocational training course in leather goods making.
The scope of the training are as follows:
- Enable artisan’s empowerment, creation of resources and significant valuable goods.
- Blue Planet will assist in capacity building of leather worker in technical and business skills by conducting workshops, creating informative and educative videos and making them aware of the training and its benefits.
- Document and digitalise current patterns and designs with the help of gen next craftsmen and also teach them to use social media platforms for better outreach.
Why vocational training is needed?
- Lack of understanding of market trends, unaware of new design and lack of competency.
- Lack of understanding of export market requirement, at times mediocre production capacity and error.
- Lack of digital and financial literacy. Lack of Diversification in product line.
- Post successful completion of training, workshop participation certificate will be provided and give our craftsmen their well deserved identity so they are not considered just another daily wage labourer.
The Sales from our Teach Collection contribute to the free training provided to the craftsmen. By skilling our artisans we will be able to get more and more bulk manufacturing orders which will in turn create more jobs and a sustainable income for our craftsmen, most of them who belong to the lowest most strata of society financially.
During the sudden lockdown due to Covid 19 announced in March 2020, the foundation raised Rs 5,00,000/- from its clients, friends and family and distributed food to around 2000 craftsmen and their families. Around 80,000 meals were served during a one month period.
During the second wave in April 2021, the foundation tied up with KhaanaChaiye, an ngo providing free meals to those in need and our team is currently distributing food packets to whoever needs food in Dharavi.1000s of meals have already been distributed and we will continue doing so till there is a need.